Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Made it to 31 weeks...

before having to check-in to the hospital! I went in for my routine perinatology sonogram, and the first thing she saw was that Summer's cord was looped around beneath her, and my cervix was funneling to an unsafe length (less than 15 mm). She called my OBGYN up to look, and as we waited, explained that should my water break at home or at work, Summer's cord would be the first thing to come out and would create a dire emergency known as cord prolapse. Summer would likely die from suffocation since her body would compress the cord on her way out of the birth canal. My OBGYN looked at the images and confirmed that I needed to stay put. I couldn't even drive home to pack a bag! I called Kason and told him as best as I could what was going on, and an hour later, he brought some essentials to me. I was still processing all the information mentally and felt pretty numb as the nurse walked me to Labor & Delivery and I checked in. But as I looked up more information on cervix funneling and cord prolapse, the seriousness of the situation became much clearer to me. Will it be a long four or five weeks until my scheduled C-section (35 weeks at the earliest)? Yes. Will I get homesick and miss the independence of being able to move around and go places? Yes. But this is what is best for my daughters, and I will do all I can do to make sure they bake for another month at least. I am restricted to going to the bathroom and taking a shower. Any other time, I have to be in bed.

The girls are doing fine except for the cord issue. Summer weighs 4 lbs, and Scarlett weighs 4 lbs 2 oz. It's interesting how they trade off being the heavier baby. :) The girls' heart rates are 136 and 139, respectively. I am relieved they are growing just fine, but the cord problem worries me. Part of me feels relieved that my doctor has gone ahead and said I will have a C-section, but another part is dreading it. I've talked with the nurses, and they assure me that the anesthesiologists are so good at administering epidurals that they could do it in their sleep. I am impressed with this hospital thus far, especially the food. :) The menu is so extensive, I'm not worried about getting tired of what they offer. Kason has brought me other foods from home, and I have a few people bringing me goodies.

The outpouring of support and encouragement has been so touching! People are asking me what they can do and bring to me and want to visit me. I feel so blessed to have the friends that I do. And most of all, I feel incredibly lucky to have such a caring, attentive, hard-working, selfless husband who will always be behind me 100%. He is already such an amazing father!

I will post updates as time progresses. Right now, the nurses monitor the girls' heart rates three times a day. Scarlett really hates the monitor and kicks it each time. It's supposed to stay on there for at least 20 minutes, but she prolongs the time by kicking it. I wonder if she is getting all this feistiness out of her system, or if Kason and I are in for an exceptionally fun adventure in parenthood!

No comments:

Post a Comment